Wednesday, February 18, 2015

The Upside of Oral Surgery

Is there anything worse than sitting in  a reclined chair while a stranger with two assistants do unspeakable things to your mouth? Well, ok, there are a lot worse things but you know what I mean.
 I was prepared for the ordeal by first taking some temapzepam an hour before the event. This, I was told, was for anxiety...of which I had none, really. I knew this whole thing was not going to be fun from the beginning.
  Arrived at the posh office and everyone was all polite smiles and cheerful dispositions and I wondered why it took two no nonsense assistants to usher me into the office. Did they think I would make a break for it?
 Dentist arrives promptly and is filled with assurances but at least he does not offer any jokes as he begins to inject the local anesthetic into all parts of my mouth--so much that the tip of my nose goes numb and that's ok because then they hook me to the nitrous oxide. Now I've never had 'laughing gas' or 'sweet air' before and I was hoping to get some sort of rush.  You've no idea how disappointed I was!
It was explained to me that this would make me less conscious of how much time I'd be worked on. Well, the nine hours of lying there and listening to the cracks and buzzing felt just like nine hours!
  I do have to admit that I did feel groggy when it was all done--they wheeled me out to my patient wife who'd had her hair done and all I could day way "Mgrmmph" as my mouth was stuffed with gauze.
Feel good today, however and the best part is that i should stick to cool/cold beverages for the next several days and no strenuous activity which means I can write, watch TV, write and drink beer! So back to the final proof of ABIGAIL'S BLOOD PASSION!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a long but otherwise positive dental appointment. I, too, wonder what to be worried about when having work done by a dentist. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive and I'm never anxious at all. I know people who get very worried when seeing a dentist so I can understand why they give laughing gas for long procedures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that technically there are worse things like what you said but it is truly a terrible experience every time you have to go to the dentist and sit in that chair with total stranger's hands going all through your mouth. It gets even worse when the doctor tells you that you’ll need to pay a bunch for oral surgery.

    ReplyDelete